Thursday, October 4, 2012

Perfectly Delicious Chicken Tikka Masala and Indian Naan (Recipes!)

Yum! Chicken Tikka Masala and Naan - the comfortably exotic Indian dinner combination that makes everyone smile.
Way way back in the day (November 10, 2010 to be exact), my friend Lorren requested that I share my Indian Naan recipe when I mentioned I would be happy to share it if anyone wanted it in my post on bread-making. After we had Chicken Tikka Masala and Naan for dinner tonight, I knew the time was now. So, surprise Lorren! Here is the recipe - two years late!! I'm sorry I'm so lame.

To try to make it up to you, I'm also sharing my recipe for the perfect Chicken Tikka Masala. 
Lorren, I hope you and all my other Indian-food-loving friends enjoy this post. :)

Chicken Tikka Masala served over white rice. Serve over Basmati if you want it to be more authentic.
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 TBS. lemon juice
  • 2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 TBS. minced fresh ginger
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 3 TBS. buter
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 6 tsp. ground cumin
  • 6 tsp. paprika
  • Salt to taste (~2-2 1/2 tsp.)
  • 3-8oz. cans of tomato sauce
  • 3 cups heavy cream
  • Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 tsp. cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and salt. Stir in chicken, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
2. Preheat a large saucepan to high heat.
3. Discard the marinade, cook the chicken in the saucepan until juices run clear, and then dump out the rest of the marinade.
4. Melt butter in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic for 1 minute. Season with 6 tsp. cumin, paprika, and ~2tsp. salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on medium-low heat until sauce thickens, ~30 minutes. (Add the cooked chicken to the simmering sauce whenever it is cooked through.)
5. Serve over Basmati or white rice, and garnish with fresh cilantro.

P.S. The Chicken Tikka Masala freezes quite nicely. I always scoop up about a quart sized bag of the curry to freeze for a later date so we can all enjoy this delicious, yet time-consuming ethnic comfort food on a day when I'm not up to cooking it.

Soft and scrumptious Naan. Just perfect.
 Indian Naan Recipe - makes 12 Naan
  •  1 1/3 cups warm water (110*F/45*C)
  • 2 tsp. active dry yeast
  • 2 tsp. white sugar
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup ghee (1/4 cup oil, 1/4 cup clarified butter)
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • Garlic salt (the original recipe suggested using Kalonji (aka onion seed, nigella seeds, kalunji) but we have always just used a little garlic salt. Use whatever you like!)
Directions:

1. Whisk warm water with yeast and sugar until yeast is dissolved. Cover and let stand in warm place for 10 min.
2. Sift flour and salt 3 times into a large bowl. Add yeast mixture, ghee, and yogurt. Mix into a soft dough, then knead for ~5 min. or until dough is smooth and elastic.
3. Place dough in large greased bowl, flip, cover and let stand in warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until dough is doubled.
4. Punch down dough, then knead for 5 minutes. Divide dough into 12 pieces. Hand-stretch or roll each piece out into 8 inch round naans, as you cook each naan.
5. Grease a pan with some butter and a generous spray of canola oil. Put a flatened naan in the pan. Sprinkle lightly with garlic salt. When the one side has some light browning, flip and cook the other side. Continue until all the naans are cooked. Enjoy!

P.S. I've never tried freezing the Naan. It's too good - we eat it all before that could ever be a legitimate thought that crosses our minds. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Because I know you are into ethnic food you will appreciate that we are doing Filipino on Sunday, Chicken adobo. I hope the missionaries like it :) I've never made it myself before so I hope it comes out like I remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and for all the other readers out there...Jami has made this meal for my family and I can say it is really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do a lot of fresh cooking, but because of the nature of fresh cooking, my food storage suffers. How do you do nutritious meals while keeping a solid food storage? (Maybe an idea for a post)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blythe -

      I wrote a post for you!

      http://howdyhepworths.blogspot.com/2012/11/food-storage-ideas-for-fresh-food-lovers.html

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...