Sunday, October 31, 2010

A class of their own: Halloween Costumes for Pregnant Women

(UPDATE 8/25/2012: Due to the popularity of this post, I have written another blog post with 40 fresh ideas for you all! Check it out at this link.)

For my Halloween costume this year, I really wanted to take advantage of my already quite large belly. I poured through forums, sites and pictures to get ideas. As it turns out, there are a myriad of costumes that play on this special time of life. I was most partial to some of the more traditional costumes:

The "Bun in the Oven" and Baker Combo
Or, the hick farmer girl, holding either a pumpkin or watermelon.I thought very seriously about doing a variation on this old lady, but I wanted a costume that would be better for a couple (maybe Squire could have dressed up as a horse?):Even the skeleton with the baby skeleton inside the belly is pretty adorable,
and perfect for the Halloween spirit.And, who could forget the cat with a scared little fishy in a fishbowl? Too cute.Though I found many a cute costume, some were downright disturbing. When I found this little beauty, I laughed for about 10min. straight. Squire and I would have been down for something like this. However, at church Halloween parties cross-dressing and even fake cigarette smoking is strongly discouraged. :) You have to admit though, that this one is pretty hilarious. Haha.
This was another favorite play on the pregnant belly: Expecting Barbie!My friend, Allison, did this one for Halloween a couple years ago. I love it.But, the true inspiration for our costumes came from this woman's picture.
Squire got really excited to dress up when we ultimately decided on his couple's Halloween costume scenario:

He would be a crazy surgeon who performed a partial c-section on his pregnant patient several months before the baby's due date so baby wouldn't miss his very first Halloween.
A close up on the hand and adorable Trick-or-Treat bag:
Despite my initial reservations, the creepy costume was a hit at our Single's ward Halloween party and it was really fun to see the shocked reactions when people started noticing the little hand popping out of my belly. Our baby even got a pumpkin seed in his little bag. :)

On Saturday night, (the "real" Halloween for Utah children when Halloween falls on a Sunday), I wore this much less creepy Halloween T-shirt to hand out candy to the trick-or-treaters.
What are some of the best pregnant Halloween costumes you've seen or worn?

(UPDATE 8/25/2012: Due to the popularity of this post, I have written another blog post with 40 fresh ideas for you all! Check it out at this link.)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, there's the classic Pregnant Nun costume that usually gets a laugh. But I like what you guys came up with, clever, creepy and funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greg and I also laughed out loud at the white trash one. We also enjoyed the more gruesome one you came up with. My friend who is 35 weeks painted a basketball on her belly and wore a net for a skirt and her husband dressed up like a basketball player. I thought it was clever.`

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post!

    Halloween is the favorite holiday in my home and we're constantly thinking of alternate themes if/when I am ever impregnated. We actually just agreed on a backup plan a couple weeks ago-- It does involve giant, man-eating plants. That's always a win. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was browsing about Pregnant halloween costumes and I found your blog which is quite interesting. I do hope it's okay with you if I pin them on my Pinterest board. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...